Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Wedding Photography - The Benefits of a First Look


When I discuss the timeline for wedding day with a bride, I always ask if she is interested in doing a First Look. Some brides know what a First Look is, others ask for an explanation. A First Look is when the bride and groom opt to see each other before the ceremony and just spend some time alone...the two of them.

First Looks are a wonderful opportunity for the bride and groom to actually experience seeing each other for the first time. When you wait to see each other until the ceremony, you can't really be in the moment. You make it to the end of the aisle and the service starts immediately. But with a First Look, the moment is totally your own. You have the ability to react to the emotions, reach out, hug, kiss...whatever you're feeling. It's a very intimate pause in your day to revel in the fact that you are shortly going to be husband and wife.

As a bride, I remember how special and perfect that moment in our day was. I remember the way my husband looked at me, the tears that creeped up in his eyes, and the big smile that spread across his face. It was the only time we had all day for the two of us. The pictures from our First Look also happened to be the best pictures of us on our wedding day. They were filled with true genuine emotions.

Some brides still feel hesitant to let go of the tradition of not seeing each other before the ceremony. As someone who had a first look I truly didn't feel it lessened how special walking down aisle to my husband was. It was so nice to have already experienced that emotional rush and be able to take in seeing all our guests and having my dad give me away.

The other benefit of a First Look is that it helps with the timeline for your wedding day significantly. If you and your husband-to-be decide to see each other before the ceremony, it provides you with an excellent opportunity to also do your family and bridal party pictures. Taking your formal photos before the ceremony allows you to move straight from your ceremony into your reception without an hour or two between for photo taking.

When asked for my opinion on First Looks, I encourage my couples to really consider doing one and explain why I feel so strongly about it. In the end though, it really is up to the couple to decide what they want to do. After all, this one day is all about you. So you should do whatever is going to make you happy and feel more relaxed on that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment