Sunday, September 15, 2013

What's In My Bag For Wedding Photography?


Wedding photography is a difficult genre to summarize simply because each wedding is different. In other forms of photography, such as landscapes or studio portraits, you can be pretty sure what equipment you will need to get the job done. Wedding photography is different; one wedding could be outside in the mid day sun whilst another could be in a dimly lit church. The need for "gear" to cover every eventuality is great and in this article I want to share with you exactly what is in my bag when I go to shoot a wedding. Before I get into it, I want to confirm that I shoot with 2 crop body Canon 60D cameras so my lens choices below are suitable for crop body shooters.

1. Canon 10-22mm Lens

This lens is used sparingly and perhaps only takes one picture during each wedding! But it's invaluable because it has an extremely wide angle allowing for great shots of the venue and any architecture that is unique. I also use this sometimes if the wedding party is especially big (over 150) as it allows me to get everyone in without standing too far away.

2. Canon 17-55 2.8 IS

The workhorse. This lens is practically glued to one camera for the duration of a wedding because it is quite simply one of the best lenses Canon has ever made. It's focal range is great and most importantly it features Image Stablization which allows for handheld shots in low light. The 17-55 is also great for evening receptions as it's focal range allows you to get some candid photos in the tightest of venues.

3. Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mark 2

This lens is expensive but worth it. If you can't afford it then I suggest either renting it or getting the 2.8 IS Mark 1. Another alternative is to purchase the Sigma 70-200 2.8 OS which is every bit as good as the Mark 1. This focal range is vital for a wedding ceremony especially those where the venue or officiant demands you stand well away from the couple as they exchange vows. It allows you to stand at the back of the church or on the balcony and still capture intimate moments with ease.

4. Canon 50 1.4

A great lens which costs around $400! It has a constant 1.4 aperture which allows low light shooting in the dimmest of receptions. A fantastic portrait lens and great for grabbing shots of the wedding party and guests.

5. Canon 135 2.0 L

This lens, a "Luxury" L series lens, is in my bag to achieve only one type of shot; bridal portraits and beauty shots of the bride. The detail it picks up, the colors and the vibrance are second to none. And the bokeh (or background blur) is so creamy it almost doesn't exist!

So there we have it, 5 lenses complete my lineup when I attend a wedding. To compliment the lenses, I also carry 4 Canon 430 ex ii speedlights which I place around the reception hall on Manfrotto Light Stands. I then bounce the flash units off the ceilings as the party in the reception is under way. They allow me to get shots I would never have been able to in darkly lit halls. Finally, I carry an array of SD memory cards ranging from 4gb to 16gb and a host of spare camera and flash batteries.

I hope you've enjoyed reading what I carry in my camera bag to weddings and I hope it helps you set your own gear bag in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment